Webpage / Forum Design
 New Webmaster Needed
You must be logged in to post to this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Ian Frogley

1394 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2019 :  15:35:10  Show Profile
I have decided it is about time I stood down as webmaster for the 2000 Class Association. At a recent open meeting we had a discussion regarding the future of the website. One or two people didn't see the relevance of the website given that there is an active Facebook page. However the majority would like to see the website continue, so there are three options:

1 Maintain the current website as is. It is 10 years old and based on a set of ASP programs called Snitz Forum, with an MS SQL database behind it. It doesn't take a lot of maintenance, but a new webmaster would have to be comfortable editing asp and html code. The webmaster doesn't have to post all the content, such as Notice of Race etc, that can be done by a few others. Obviously registered members can post and reply to topics in the 'public' forums.

2 Revamp the website to bring it up to date and less 'cluncky'. This is the preferred option. A new webmaster would need to be familiar with web design, and be able to incorporate the data from the SQL database.

3 Archive the website, i.e. leave it as it is with no updating.

The other option is, of course, to close it down, i.e. use it or lose it.

Is there anyone who would like to take on this website, preferably option 2. Ideally they would be a CA member already, or prepared to join. We could employ a professional web designer, but we are very much a self help association with a fairly small budget.

Please PM or email me at webmaster@2000class.org if you would like more information.

Ian Frogley

1394 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2019 :  10:02:55  Show Profile
Posted
Go to Top of Page

j66cox

1943 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2019 :  08:44:48  Show Profile
Thanks for running the website for so many years Ian.

I have no experience or knowledge of websites, code or the like - sorry.

Personally I would hate to see the forum/website go as there is a wealth of knowledge within its content which can be easily found using the Search function.

Facebook is OK but it is here today and lost tomorrow. I use FB and OK for immediate stuff, letting people know and promotion but there is an awful lot missed and I wonder how many CA members/potential members have joined the 2000 FB page.
With the forum folk can post and normally within a short while someone will come along giving a reply to help/guide/point in the right direction.

Better to see our CA membership money that isnít being spent on printing Millennium Mutterings be used to fund this website as it remains up on the net for ALL to view and use. I would be happy to admin any future website but would be absolutely useless at sorting out tech issues.
Go to Top of Page

Milton_Massive

4 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  13:37:41  Show Profile
As a new member who has started sailing in the class this year, the website and forum has been a fantastic resource.
Although it takes a while to dig through all of the information, without this resource it would have taken a long time to get my boat setup to where it is now.
I'm sure there would have been an endless trail of emails to the ever helpful experienced members who would eventually get fed up with every new member going through the same process.

Dan Cruse
Go to Top of Page

jmacgregor

671 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2019 :  15:03:54  Show Profile
As an ex-sailing sec I can only as how useful Ian and the website have been to help publicise events, store documents and results. Not everyone is on FB and it's not ideal for doing these jobs anyway.

All the other information on our website was also brilliant when we were starting sailing the 2000 originally.

So please someone out there step up and take this job from Ian.

THANKS IAN!

James.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
You must be logged in to post to this forum
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
2000 Class Association Website
Hosted by Pipeten.co.uk
Privacy Policy © 2000 Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03