Updating Content
You must be logged in to post to this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oliver Hall

12 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  12:22:37  Show Profile
Hi,
I'm a brand new member, and I'm eagerly absorbing any information I can find.
It seems that there's a lot of old content on the site - I'd be happy to contribute more up to date info as I find it. Is that feasible?

WKSC: 2000 #2853

Ian Frogley

1397 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  18:48:04  Show Profile
Oliver,
Your free to post anything relevant in the appropriate area of this site. So yes it's feasible.
What especially are you referring to?
Go to Top of Page

Oliver Hall

12 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  20:13:59  Show Profile
Hi Ian,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I was thinking about the technical section - stuff like the parts diagram from 2007, which still uses the old part codes.
I was assuming that "ordinary" members could only post to the forums.

All the best,
Oliver

Go to Top of Page

Ian Frogley

1397 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2019 :  20:44:41  Show Profile
You can,but if you have something useful like a parts diagram then either post it in a new topic or send it to me.
The one dated from 2007 came from LaserPerformance. They lost the licence to manufacture the Laser 2000 in 2012.
From 2013 onwards the licensed builder is LDC Sailing. We don't have a parts diagram for the RS version, so we have a link to their Parts Store.
Go to Top of Page

Oliver Hall

12 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  11:36:46  Show Profile
Hi Ian,
Thanks again - I'm starting to build up picture of how things have evolved. The parts diagram that you have from 2013 lists part numbers that appear to have been superseded - I appreciate I may be putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 3 though!

I found - essentially - the same document, but with revised part codes which marry up with at least one online chandlers (sailboat.co.uk)
e.g. The storage bin o-rings: "old" part code D40037A, "new" (or at least searchable) part code 91124 (which matches this https://www.sailboats.co.uk/laser-2000-hatch-cover-ring)
I wasn't able to find any reference to D40037A at all.

This is the "alternative" exploded parts diagram (which has some corrections over other similar versions I found floating around)
http://www.paris-voile.com/info/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Eclate-pieces-detachees-laser2000.pdf

The challenge for me is that that I can't find a spec for any of this stuff - I'm not trying to be a purist and replace things only with original parts, but I'd prefer to use things designed for the job than "make something do" (which I know is a popular ethos in the sailing world ;)

I've been trying to track down replacement parts in other ways too - such as deciphering the codes on the worn parts on my boat, and I'm keen to know if these are original parts, have been replaced already with something equivalent, or just a bodge to get by. I appreciate that specs change all the time so a part that was used by LaserPerformance in 1999 could well be very different from what they used in 2009 and different again from what LDC did or RS do, but I'd definitely benefit from some area that anyone could update with suitable replacements (either original or equivalent) to make sure that I order the right stuff. I'd use the local chandlers to help with my detective work if they weren't so grumpy ;-)

e.g. I found the Gennaker-sheet block spring guard (Laser 2000 part code (old)22149 or (newer)91545) is a Holt-Allen component "[H|S]A-621", available from sailboat.co.uk again https://www.sailboats.co.uk/allen-auto-ratchet-spring-guard. Tracking replacements down (mine have disintegrated) wasn't easy when I had no idea they were called "auto ratchet spring guards" in the first place.

Would a "Parts Locator" sub-forum be helpful (or am I a bit odd in trying to work all this stuff out rather than just going out sailing ;-)

All the best & thanks for maintaining the site - I've already benefited from it.
Oliver

Go to Top of Page

Oliver Hall

12 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2019 :  12:16:28  Show Profile
P.S. I just had a chat with RS and they're currently working on a new exploded parts diagram. No date for release yet, but at least it's in the works! :)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
You must be logged in to post to this forum
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
2000 Class Association Website
Hosted by Pipeten.co.uk
Privacy Policy © 2000 Class Association Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.03